Dr. V. Ravichandiran
Director, NIPER Kolkata
Greetings and welcome to the official website of National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) Kolkata. While navigating through our website, I hope that you will get a better understanding of various running activities including academic, research and others, aimed to meet the objective of excellence for higher education, research and development in pharmaceutical sciences. NIPER, Kolkata was established in 2007 under the aegis of Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizer as a Centre of Excellence for higher education, research and development in pharmaceutical sciences. The Institute was declared as an Institute of National importance by Government of India through the Act of Parliament (NIPER Act 1998 & NIPER amendment Act 2007).
- Objectives of NIPER, Kolkata are :
- To tone up the level of pharmaceutical education and research .
- To produce leaders in the field and provide opportunities for training of future teachers and research scientists for the industry and the profession .
- To be a centre for innovation in pharmaceutical sciences and technology .
- To encourage research and studies in new and emerging areas like discovery of pharmacologically active molecules, new therapeutic processes and formulations, synthetic biology, cellular and molecular biology, immunology and immunodiagnostics, recombinant DNA technology and monoclonal antibody technology, novel drug delivery systems including nano-technology , chemical and biochemical process technology, etc.
- To promote innovative and translational research.
- To study of national/ international pharmaceutical policy.
- To create specialized centres to cater to the needs of pharmaceuticals industries and other research and teaching institutes.
- To provide scientific footing to traditional medicines.
Situated in Kolkata, the City of Joy, NIPER offers its students an exposure to professional and entrepreneurial training in pharmaceutical sciences. Ever since its inception, the Institute has been fostering and nurturing leaders as pharmacists, researchers/scholars and academicians who are capable of making differences in the pharmaceutical (academic/industrial) sectors. NIPERs have been conceived to provide leadership in pharmaceutical sciences and related areas not only within the country, but also to the countries in South East Asia, South Asia and Africa. NIPER is a member of Association of Indian Universities and Association of Commonwealth Universities to become a globally recognized brand.
NIPER Kolkata in pursuit of its mission has created a history in introducing a course curriculum on rare diseases leading to 2 credits (36 hours of teaching) for the first time in the global context at the master’s level at NIPER Kolkata. Course curriculum has been designed on the initiative of DoP in collaboration of Minnesota University, USA.
- Creating global alliance of institutes of research innovation and technology development
Its academic and research performance has already drawn attention to the MNC drug industry giants in India like Sanofi India Ltd., Natreon Inc., ASG Biochem, Lupin Ltd., Dr. Reddys Laboratory, etc.
The Institute has signed a number of MoUs with several academic and industrial partners to strengthen the pharmaceutical education and research. Some of them are:
- Academic collaborations :
- BMS (R&D), Bangalore on Nano-technology application and development activity.
- All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health (AIH&PH), Kolkata on global health care solutions.
- National Institute of Cholera and Enteric diseases (NICED), Kolkata on antibiotic resistance.
- Alagappa University, Tamil Nadu.
- IIT Madras on rare diseases.
- National Institute of Biologicals (NIB), Noida on quality control.
- Society of Ethnopharmacology, Jadavpur University on natural products.
- Industrial collaboration :
- Sanofi India Ltd. on pharmaceutical education .
- Natreon Inc., Kolkata on natural products .
- ASG Biochem. Ltd, Kolkata on green chemistry and steroids .
- Bengal Chemical and Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (BCPL), Kolkata to develop a new product related to identifying detoxifying agent, a newer adjuvant, which is least toxic to the animal and best immunogenic with regard to Anti-snake venom serum production.
The Institute offers students an opportunity to get hand-on training in an industrial setting, like National Institute of Biologicals (NIB), Noida, ASG Biochem Ltd. Kolkata, Natreon Inc. Kolkata, Sanofi India Ltd and Bengal Chemical and Pharmaceuticals Ltd., and several other collaborators as mentioned above.
Equipped with the eminent faculties and researchers having expertise in different subjects, NIPER Kolkata represents a premier Centre of Excellence in teaching, research, professional and entrepreneurial training of students in Pharmaceutical sciences, and offers its students a suitable platform for achieving the highest standard of excellence in their academic pursuit . Furthermore, the Institute periodically hosts a number of national / international seminars/symposium/conferences/workshops every year that further enrich the students’ technical knowledge and expose them to various cutting-edge research and innovations. The institute receives a number of national/international experts from the pharmaceutical fields every year to share expertise with the students and the faculties. Organizing video conferences with noted experts keeping alumni in the loop is value addition. With the above words, I would like to say that NIPER Kolkata is constantly focused to emphasize the quality of Pharmaceutical Education and Research in order to nurture and shape the future of young leaders in the area of Pharmaceutical science and technology.
Dr. V. Ravichandiran
Director, NIPER Kolkata