M.S. (Pharma) Degree awarded by NIPERs
National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education & Research (NIPER), SAS Nagar, Mohali, was set up in terms of provisions of NIPER Act, 1998. The NIPER Act, 1998 was subsequently amended by The National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education & Research (Amendment) Act, 2007. The Amendment Act, 2007 inter-alia empowered the Central Government to establish similar institutes in different parts of the country.
- Central Government accordingly established new NIPERs at Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Kolkata, Guwahati, Raebareli and Hajipur. At present these new NIPERs impart Ph.D and PG level education with the help of scientific Mentor Institutes and grant degree under the NIPER Act, 1998.
- Section 7(ii) of the NIPER Act, 1998 inter-alia empowers NIPERs to concentrate on courses leading to Master’s Degree, Doctoral and Post Doctoral courses and research in pharmaceutical education. Section 7(iii) of the Act empowers NIPERs to hold examination and grant degrees.
- Section 32 of the NIPER Act, 1998 provides as follows:
“Notwithstanding anything contained in the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 or in any other law for the time being in force, the Institute shall have power to grant degrees and other academic distinctions and titles under this Act.”
- By virtue of the provisions of the NIPER Act, 1998, as aforesaid, NIPERs have power to grant degrees and other academic distinctions and titles under the Act.
- In terms of Ministry of Home Affair’s OM No.6/1/64-Estt.D dated 19th April, 1964 degrees/diplomas awarded by Universities in India which are incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India and other educational Institutes established by an Act of Parliament, no formal orders recognizing such degrees / diplomas need be issued by Government. Such degrees / diplomas should be recognized automatically, for the purpose of employment under the Central Government.
- This being the position PG degrees awarded by NIPERs under the NIPER Act, 1998 do not call for any recognition by any other authority.